You only have one Life : Protect It : Stay Safe
St Colmcille Royal Life Saving Club
Lifeguards lifting a Casualty out of the Water.
Pool Candidate pre-requisites
Every candidate, prior to commencement of training for the NPLQ must:
· Be 16 years of age;
· Be able to meet the following basic fitness criteria:-
· Jump / dive into deep water
· Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds
· Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water.
· Tread water for 30 seconds
· Surface dive to the floor of the pool
Climb out unaided without ladder / steps and where the pool design permits.
Benefits of becoming a lifeguard :
We think there are loads of great reasons why you'd want to become a lifeguard.
We guess you must think it's a pretty good idea too, which is why you are on this website.
Reasons why we think you'd love it...
· First and foremost you are providing an amazing public service. You will without a doubt make people feel confident, happier and safer just by being on the poolside and you could potentially save a life.
· Being a lifeguard offers a fantastic foundation to a career in the leisure industry. Many senior managers began their rise to leisure stardom by lifeguarding at their local pools.
· The opportunity to get fit. Not only will you have to have a basic level of fitness to become a lifeguard but you will be encouraged to stay fit and get fitter. Many pools will give their lifeguards discounted or even free memberships.
· You get to work with a team of like minded people, so there's plenty of opportunity to increase your social circle!
· The hours are flexible and perfect for those of you who need to fit studying into your busy days.
· If you're a competitive type there is plenty of opportunity to show off your lifeguarding talents in annual events such as the National Pool Lifeguard Championships (team event) and the Lifeguard Triathlon.
· If you find you really enjoy lifeguarding you can take it up as a competitive sport and compete regularly for your local club.
Lastly but still very importantly, you will gain a life skill that will come in handy for the rest of your life.
It could lead to an enhanced career progression and a stepping stone to the National Pool Management Qualification (NPMQ).